Process automation has benefited many industries and has gained traction over the last few years. Many manufacturing units use automation in assembly lines, bots for mundane tasks, and have an integrated software in place that manages and controls all the programs. This improves process control, keeps processes in-house, reduces possible human errors, accelerates deliveries, and so on. With countless undeniable benefits, advanced and automated machines are a valuable asset for any facility. With increasing demands, machines operate on a continual basis because of which machine health monitoring has gained prominence. While they undergo regular monitoring and maintenance, there needs to be a tool monitoring system in place that can monitor machine movements, productivity, and many other aspects on a continual basis. Many tool and process monitoring systems are in use today, and BK MIKRO is the most popular among them. This blog mainly focuses on BK Mikro controllers in detail.
Function of BK Mikro Controllers
BK MIKRO system comprises three essential units- a scanner, a controller, and a connection cable. These units help detect the process details. The control unit acts as the brain of the system. BK Mikro controllers analyze and store the position of the object from the scanner. Next, the unit compares the position of subsequent checks to ensure the object is in its right position. If not, the controller immediately sends the signal to machines to stop the process.
There are three main versions of controllers available in the BK Mikro system to fulfil the demand of most applications.
- The basic version is a simple, compact, and cost-effective solution. This version supports only one function or position recognition.
- In contrast, the premium version is designed to monitor over 512 functions or objects.
- The premium with fieldbus offers similar functionality as the premium one. The only difference is that the programming uses CNC software with a fieldbus, such as PROFINNET, DeviceNet or Profibus.
6 Popular BK Mikro Controllers You Must Know
Here is a list of BK Mikro Controllers widely used today. So, let’s have a look at them.
- BKM91: This is a premium version controller with a PROFIBUS interface. This controller can check and store several object positions or functions. BKM91 is mainly used for application checking tools.
- BKM91D: This is another popular premium version controller used in the machining center’s tool charger. This controller has a DEVICENET interface.
- BKM91PN: Like BKM91 and BKM91D, this is a premium version controller. This controller has a PROFINET interface.
- BKM92KIO: This premium version controller combines input/output units to monitor 512 objects using 24vdc binary signals. These controllers are ideal when multiple functions are required.
- BKM93: This is a basic version of the controller mainly used for analyzing free space or part injection.
- BKM93KIO: This is another type of basic controller. The functionality of this controller is similar to BKM93. However, it has an in-built input/output module with Dual In-Line Package (DIP) switches. They are a set of electrical switches that allow for setting up without any software.
This post may have offered you an idea about BK Mikro controllers and the benefits of installing them in your manufacturing system. If you need a BK Mikro tool and process monitoring system for your facility, you can get it from Techna-Tool. The company is one of the industry’s most reliable and trusted suppliers of tool monitoring systems. Aside from the BK Mikro system, the company also offers Techna-Check. You can contact their team via phone or email in case of any questions pertaining to these tool monitoring systems.